Amazing Lineup of Plenary Speakers for the 29th Annual Research & Policy Conference
Confirmed Speakers for the 2016 Conference
Our list of plenary speakers includes:
Brian D. Smedley, PhD, co-founder and Executive Director of the National Collaborative for Health Equity, Washington, DC, will focus on the role of place, and in particular, residential segregation as a root cause of substance abuse and mental illness.
Donald Warne, MD, MPH, Chair, Department of Public Health at North Dakota State University, Senior Policy Advisor to the Great Plains Tribal Chairmen’s Health Board, will discuss the social circumstances that can have an impact on the quality of parenting skills for the next generation, leading to continued inter-generational health disparities.
- Tamara Sale, MA, Amy Goldstein, PhD, and Janet Walker, PhD, will discuss exciting new developments in research, policy and practice related to early intervention in psychosis that have drawn increased attention and funding to efforts aimed at improving outcomes and preventing disability for young people who are experiencing the symptoms of psychosis for the first time.
Theresa Barila, co-founder of the Children’s Resilience Initiative and longtime community mobilizer in Walla Walla, WA. will share the “back-story” to the documentary Paper Tigers, now in national screenings.
Larke Huang, PhD, from SAMSHA will discuss the impact of a changing health care environment on behavioral health evaluators, researchers, policy-makers and practitioners.
About the Conference
Known widely as "The Tampa Conference," this annual gathering of more than 500 researchers, evaluators, policy-makers, administrators, parents, and advocates provides a forum where participants can:
- Learn, inform, network, and discuss issues related to research, policy, and practice.
- Explore behavioral health topics from a systems and community perspective.
- Discover new research and policy ideas that are individualized, community-defined, evidence-based, culturally/linguistically competent, family- driven, and youth-guided.
- Hear an outstanding line-up of speakers who are leading researchers and advocates in the field.